Jan 4, 2011

Back to Ghana

Tomorrow I leave for Ghana again. I have been accepted to an international internship through the School of Social work at the University of Texas, where I am completing my graduate degree. I was fortunate enough to go to Ghana at the end of May of this year for a Month for a ‘Maymester’ International class. I met a lot of interesting and friendly people who I look forward to seeing again!

I will be working with Eve’s Foundation, a small organization which provides classes about pregnancy and labor issues. The organization has been in existence for ten years and is essentially one woman who is determined to make a difference. I met with Ms. Okra once at the end of my last visit to Ghana and I look forward to working with her.

I’m curious what cultural differences will come up. When I was there before, I found that, interestingly, sometimes there was a language barrier. Even though we were technically speaking the same language there were often misunderstandings and different ways of expressing thoughts. It’s a great challenge!

There is another student going and we will be living together. We have arranged a place to stay for the first five days after we arrive. Once we get there we will work on getting housing, local phones and internet. We will be checking in with our respective organizations and touring the city of Accra.

I wasn’t good about updating this blog while I was there last time because we were so busy! But my New Year’s resolution is to keep up with my writing, here and in my journal, so let’s see how that goes…

Let the adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment