Jan 18, 2011

Black or White (No Brown?)

Today I had an interesting conversation about race with George. While around town we have seen buses like the one we rode in during the Maymester. George refers to these specific modes of transportation as “the bus that the white people come in.” (I should probably let you know that George is very funny and we joke a lot.) This comment made me think back that someone referred to the group to Dr. Gilbert as ‘the white people’ during the Maymester, never mind the fact that we were a very diverse group in our eyes. So I asked George if there were other terms they use for people from different places. I tried to explain that I am brown. He looked at me funny and looked at his arm and then my arm. I had to admit, ‘ok, my color isn’t really brown but I’m not only white.” He seemed to understand, but stated that in Ghana you are either Obruni (white man) or Obibini (black man). I knew coming here that I would be Obruni but I have to say I miss being a person ‘of color.’ I even find myself passing judgment when I see ‘Obrunis’ walking around town, most often questioning motives. I quickly have to check myself and realize that I am also an Obruni!

This being said; there are definitely similarities between Obibinis and Chicanos! (More on this later…)



I think this picture taken when we met up with Deran, last year’s intern from the UTSSW who was visiting her fiance, and the Ghanaian peers from the Maymester highlights my point ;)


2 comments:

  1. Love this pic! I am missing Ghana so much:(
    I am so happy you are keeping a blog about the experience..I almost feel like I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you all with Deran as well! This blog is going to be very helpful to the new Maymester group. Thank you for keeping us all posted!

    ReplyDelete